WHY VISIT LAKE SEBU?
- It is a prime eco-tourism destination in South Cotabato for dining, activities like hiking, riding a zipline, boating, siteseeing and staycation.
- You can dance with the T’boli and Ubo tribes and try their local clothes.
- Try out the various tilapia recipe served at Punta Isla Lake Resort on a floating restaurant.
HOW TO GET THERE?
Best point of entry is via General Santos City. From there, you may ride a bus to Koronadal then van to Lake Sebu or why not take advantage of an early itinerary and head first to Surallah via bus then jeep ride to Lake Sebu and allocate some time to visit Sultan Kudarat before 5:00 PM. Don’t miss the last trip in Lake Sebu unless you are planning for an overnight stay. Read my related posts: NSOCCSKSARGENM: Sultan Kudarat
Lake Sebu is a natural lake that serves as a major watershed in Sultan Kudarat and South Cotabato. It has the 3rd longest zipline in Asia after Davao’s Zip City and Eden Nature Park. Lake Sebu’s zipline is the highest in southeast Asia standing at 600 feet. You can take a quick yet perfect topical view of the seven waterfalls upon riding the zipline. For those who are acrophobic, waterfalls view decks are provided for a closer look.
Overnight at Punta Isla Lake Resort and other lodges are affordable. For 1,000 Php you can have a decent room for two. But what I really enjoyed is the variety of tilapia dishes to choose from. I was too preoccuppied with the mouthwatering viands that I forgot to try on the T’boli clothes and jam with the indigenous people. You may dance with the locals while on the garden or just listen to them play their wooden instruments.
MY FAVORITE PART: The Food Trip
TILAPIA is a common term for cichlid fish. These are freshwater fish that are mostly seen in rivers, streams but mostly raised in pond lakes. In the Philippines, we commonly fry, grill or steam it. I like it stuffed with tomatoes and onion, wrapped in aluminum foil and grilled. Tilapia fillet is quite a work that’s why I loved the menu at Punta Isla Resort.
They serve tilapia in sweet and sour, sizzling, kinilaw and fried but I chose the most uncommon ways for a change.
- Don’t forget to plan your mode of transportations and point of entry/exit before the trip. Avoid staying outdoors after dinner. It is best to be safe than sorry.
- Bring your sun protection spray or lotion, shades, cap and towelettes. It gets really humid in the afternoon and insect repellants help a lot as this is a forest reservoir.
- Wear rubbershoes and leggings if you are planning on riding the zipline. You will be sliding from 600 feet.
- There are no ATMs in the area so prepare sufficient cash for souvenirs and food.
- You could either stay at Lake Sebu overnight or head on to Sultan Kudarat for overnight depending on your itinerary.
- Wifi and cellphone reception is intermittent.
- Check out neighboring provinces to include in your itinerary: NSOCCSKSARGENM: NORTH COTABATO’s Asik-Asik Falls
“Grace is finding a waterfall when you were only looking for a stream.”