HOW TO GET TO ANTIQUE?
*From Iloilo City: Ride a cab going to the Ceres Terminal (Notable yellow terminal). Take the bus going to San Jose, Antique. Remind the conductor to drop you off at Brgy Importante, Tibiao or “the crossing”. Travel time is 2-3 hours on non airconditioned bus (130Php). Ride a habal-habal/motorcyle around 15 minutes (70 Php) to various kawa bath resorts.
*From Caticlan Airport walk to the bus terminal across Jetty Port. Ride a bus bound to San Jose, Antique. Travel time is 2 hours at 100Php then motorcycle (70Php).
*From Kalibo Airport, take a trike for 100Php to Ceres Bus Terminal. Make sure to ride a bus bound to San Jose, Antique. Travel time is a little more than 2 hours then take the motorcycle (70Php).
I personally prefer the Kayak Inn for the Kawa Hot Bath because of the picturesque view. Aside from its popularity among travellers, it was also featured in some TV programs. Give them time to prepare every kawa because they need preheating. During peak season, kawa sharing is advised at 250 Php per head for 30 minutes. On weekdays given that there are minimal or no next customers, you can have an entire kawa for yourself at an extended period of time. Overnight accommodation ranges between 250-1,500 depending on the resort.
- Signal is limited in Tibiao.
- Bring insect repellants, a hammock or sleeping bag, drinking water and snacks.
- It is best to hire habal-habal if you are planning to engage in two or more activities.
- Avoid crowded days and always consider the weather if you are opting to do sidetrips on neighboring islands.
Other activities and places to visit:
- Tibiao Eco Adventure Park (TEA): Entrance fee (50Php), Zipline fee (300Php)
- Bugtong Bato Falls: Tour guide fee (100)
- Tibiao Fish Spa: Entrance fee (20Php), Habal-habal ride (30Php)
- River kayaking in Tibiao River (P3000)
- Soak in hot kawa (other resorts have flavored baths like milk, coffee and flowers)
- Seco Island; rent a boat: Kite surfing, snorkeling or Camping
- Malalison Island: Van from Tibiao to Culasi Town (20Php); rent a boat : Trek the Rolling Hills, check out pitcher plants
- Malumpati cold spring and Bugang River
- Visit Boracay, Roxas or Iloilo City
KAWA is a huge fryer turned into a tub for bathing. It is traditionally used in “fiestas” or large gatherings in the Philippines to cook dishes. The practice of cooking in a kawa is still widely done especially in the provinces. KAWA HOT BATH has recently been popularized as a traditional jacuzzi wherein dried coconut leaves and some twigs are set on fire for a few minutes to warm up the tub. It is said to be therapeutic in so many ways. It relaxes tense muscles while the aromatic add ons like flowers or bath flavors relieve stress. It is said that it even cures some skin diseases and promotes sleep. I couldn’t help it, I brought my own loofah!
“People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.”